Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Aging On Your Terms!

Greetings Dear Reader!

As much as I am an "aging well enthusiast", there was a time I abhorred revealing my age. I'm not saying that nowadays I go around with a sign up showing how many years I've been alive, but I no longer cringe or feel distraught over having my age known.

What happened to make me feel more tranquil about how many years I've been alive? I realized I am aging on MY terms not anyone else's.

People care more about their own age more than they could ever care about yours. We sometimes inquire about each other's ages, sure. But it's not really that significant. Besides, how we live is more important than the number of years we have been alive. Read that bold-font sentence again!

Someone who was very close to me died at only forty-nine years from a vehicular accident. That person was energetic, kind, and lived life purposefully! Not only was their spirit great, but that person also took great care of their physical body by eating properly and exercising on a regular basis. I'm sharing about this person because although death came far earlier than expected, their life was lived very well. They probably did more in their forty-nine years than some people do in their one hundred years! The point is that regardless of how long we live or have been alive, what matters is how we live.

As we age, we have the right to do it well, or not; either way, we get to do so on our own terms.

The following are some tips on aging well:
  • Keep your body in motion to prevent stiffness and a decrease in mobility. Eat well to manage your weight so you do not burden your skeleton frame with excess fat. It's never to late to start an exercise regimen or change your eating habits.
  • Listen to or read good news stories instead of terrifying reports. Be your own best friend.
  • Give your self a pep talk when no one else around to do it for you. Pat your self on the back, or your knee if you can't reach your upper back too well.
  • Be kind to yourself. Make it a habit of saying nice things to yourself about yourself.
You have the right to age on YOUR terms. How will you chose to do it? I hope well.

Best wishes for our (yours and mine) optimal quality of life,
Kaja Green-Tovar
 Happy to be 39 years alive! Selfie taken May 2014! I'm wearing a tank top by the way. I am NOT topless!


No comments:

Post a Comment