Friday, July 25, 2014

Senior Citizens Setting Super Examples!

Greetings Dear Reader!

This month is ALMOST over but while we are still in July, I am happily writing about aging well.

Today I am sharing about senior-aged citizens (and NEAR senior-aged citizens) setting super examples for living and aging well.

First of all, there is my relative. She works out about 5 days a week, takes excellent care of her skin, eats well, and is married to a gentleman who is younger than her. Now this relative of mine is way too nice to be called an um... 'cougar'. She just happened to feel connected to a man who has not been alive as long as she has. 

Then there are a few acquaintances such as Mr. D. Mr. D. has a career in law but recently, at the age of 65, he just earned his Cross-fit Trainer Certification! How about that?! He could just participate, which is also pretty super; however, he chose to share what he knows and train others in his spare time. I'm thinking this might be a 2nd career for him; especially, if he opens his own gymnasium.

There is Mr. L., a happily married and jovial gentleman, who I met along the Meramec Greenway this past week. Mr. L. rides his bike up and down the trail as well as those that are nearby for miles upon miles. Surely, he rides the length of a half marathon, and possibly more. Guess how old Mr. L. is ? Well, when he asked me to guess, I said about 58. Well, the correct answer is 73! Yes, 73! I am inspired by Mr. L. He is definitely setting an awesome example for aging well.

There are others who are setting super examples for aging and living well. Such as an individual I know who is helping to archive photos and other memorabilia for the religious center of his boyhood days. He is having a grand time reviving the memories and ensuring the religious center's history is not lost.

Oh! One more example. A few years back, I met an 84 years alive woman who told me she was a Peace Corps volunteer. She looked young and spirited. I can't recall her name but she spoke enthusiastically about flying to different places and helping out. She had a sense of meaning and purpose even though she lived alone. She was visiting my former neighbor when we happend upon each other but I have never forgotten her. That's because I was intrigued by the example she was setting.

Okay Dear Reader, let's keep a look out for more senior citizens who are setting super examples. Share this with others who may benefit from reading this post.

Best wishes for our (yours and mine) optimal ability to live and age well,
Kaja Green-Tovar

No comments:

Post a Comment